I bought myself a nice printer, Canon Pixma iP4000R, with the intention of using it under Linux as well as under Windows, even though Canon printers are far from being the best choice when it comes to Linux (to be honest, when I saw "Ethernet / Wifi connection", I went "OoOOoow" and couldn't change my mind, it had to be *this* printer :)
For my own (and anyone interested) reference, here is what I used.
First off, I've tried to get Turboprint drivers working. It was half of a success : I managed to get the free version of the drivers working, but they add a laaaarge "Turboprint" logo whenever you print something. Turboprint licenses are about 25 â‚¬/$. No way. I've even tried a errrrm you know try-before-you-buy license key found somewhere in the internet, but even when it said I had the registered version, I couldn't get it to remove the logo.
After googling a bit more, here is what I've used and how I've set it up.
- I've installed japanese drivers for the i860 under linux, found here : ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/
Didn't really know what I need, so I installed bjfilter860-1.3-1.i386.rpm, bjfiltercom-1.3-1.i386.rpm, bjfiltercups-2.4-0.i386.rpm, and bjfilterpixus860i-2.4-0.i386.rpm
- Using the web interface of CUPS, I've added a new printer, with the following specs :
- Name : whatever you want, mine is IP4000R (how original)
- Location and Description : optional, whatever you want
- Device : I chose "Appsocket / Jetdirect", and then for URI I use : socket://10.0.0.140:9100/
- Drivers : Canon, then Pixus i860
w00t ! Remote ethernet Canon iP4000R printer now working \o/
The web interface of CUPS seems to be capped at 600 DPI with these drivers. To print at higher resolution, call bjcups and its own configuration panel : bjcups -P IP4000R <optional filename>
As for now, I've not found yet how to invoke this panel from a desktop application such as Open Office or Gimp… (but since I almost never use desktop application, I guess it's ok :)
Want to share or tweet this post? Please use this short URL: http://ozh.in/3z